|mollie makes blogging - gets my stamp of approval!|
A couple of weeks ago I spotted this magazine/bookazine on Leanne's (of the wonderful Knit Me a Cake) twitter and instantly thought THAT is what I need. I ordered it online and on Saturday it arrived.
I've never read anything by Mollie Makes, but after having read this cover to cover (and let me just tell you, I never read everything in a magazine, I skip so much! But I didn't skip ANYTHING in this marvel) I really think I will try one or two of their other magazines. However I'm offering a review of this bumper guide and so I should stick to it.
Mollie Makes Blogging is a wonderfully thought out, authentic, visual guide to help you with blogging. The magazine has a clear contents page, easy to navigate sections (so I can delve back to the sections/hints later when it comes to fine tuning this plot of internet), honest reviews of software (free and paid for) and blogging platforms, inspirational blogs that the team at Mollie Makes like to read, and interviews/visual tours with some successful bloggers you may already know about (such as A Beautiful Mess) as well as other snippets, tid-bits, and chatty pieces.
It is 180 pages of positive, energetic and authentic writing that promises to inspire you with links and hints - but I must say the simple act of reading the magazine was inspiration itself! I don't mean to gush - but I can't help it, I really rate this magazine 10/10 for anyone who loves to blog and wants to make it that much cleaner/more exciting.
|sections of the magazine are broken up according to relevance, with great visuals|
- My Favourite Blogs (writers/contributor to the magazine give 3 of their favourite blogs, instantly giving you some new places to explore on the blogosphere)
- the fact that the magazine gives you business tips if you want to take blogging to a money-making level, but also plenty if you just want to make it into a more serious/structured creative outlet for yourself
- the authenticity and positivity of the writing - there really is no negativity in the magazine which makes it a joy to read, but all the way you believe the convictions of the writers
- the inspiration from reading, and the ideas
- glossary of technical terms - THIS is amazingly helpful
- being directed to genuinely useful websites/app/tutorials - such as the A Beautiful Mess app, picture below - an invaluable photography app that, at 69p, is a bargain and really makes a difference to your pictures!
|this app will quickly become invaluable to my blogging!|
Having said this, I can't recommend this magazine highly enough (I am letting Sophie - What Sophie Said - who I work with borrow it this afternoon!) and just to give you an idea of the vastness of what you can learn from this, I'll finish with a little to-do list for my blog -
- pictures - I will consciously put in a lot more effort to get my pictures as visually pleasing as if I had found them on pinterest, using white/crisp backgrounds, natural light, and even try my hand at making a mini studio (instructions in the magazine!)
- consider developing a more secure/solid theme for my blog such as exclusively crafts and no geekery....but also balance with my passions..which includes geekery
- plan and schedule posts more rigidly
- invest in a logo and layout from Etsy - but let this grow naturally and don't rush it so I can keep the love in my blog :)
Rest assured however there is all this and more to be found in the magazine! I really can't recommended this enough!
Do you think you will buy this magazine for your blog? Do you have it already and love it as much as I do?