Yarn - various stash
Ravelry project page - here
I think to date this baby Squirtle has to be my favourite finished amigurumi! Last month I decided I would crochet at least one Pokemon, and I ended up working on 3 (a massive Magikarp is currently in the making - watch this space!) and when I came across Evelyn's designs I knew I had to make one!
They are all so adorable and full of life in the detail in their eyes, but B was helping me decide which one to make and he is a big Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise fan, and considering I knew I had the colours to hand baby Squirtle was the obvious choice.
The actual pattern istelf can be found on Evelyn's Deviant Art and is very easy to follow. I particularly adored the tiny details in the pattern which defined the nose better, and the optional 'puff' stitches used for fingers and toes. I included these as they weren't a difficult stitch at all and the detailing is one reason that these designs really stood out for me!
I used a 3.5mm hook instead of 3.75mm (which I don't even seem to own - the horror!) and DK weight yarn - or so I thought. The shell came out much larger than it looked like it should judging by the pictures on Ravelry and I was very worried that Squirtle was going to be a failure. But fear not! Once the pieces were sewn together and the details stitched on he turned out perfectly.